WHAT IS THE VISA WAIVER PROGRAM?
The Visa Waiver Program is an online application process developed by the American Government to screen travelers before they enter the United States of America.
The Visa Waiver Program means there is no need for people to visit an American diplomatic office to submit an application. You can submit applications online and, in most cases, your Electronic System for Travel Authorisation will be approved within 24 hours. Please allow at least 72 hours for processing.
When an application is submitted through, all you need to do is enter your passport details and your credit card or PayPal information. Approved applications are electronically recorded on American Government systems.
When you arrive at an airport for check-in on a flight to the USA, the airline check-in staff can electronically confirm that you have authority to board the flight to America.
Please note an approved Electronic System for Travel Authorisation is not a visa. The Electronic System for Travel Authorisation provides people from Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries with authorisation to enter the USA. An approved Electronic System for Travel Authorisation does not guarantee entry in to the USA. Upon arrival to the USA, people will be assessed by American Customs and Border Protection to determine if a visa will be granted.
WHO CAN USA THE VISA WAIVER PROGRAM?
You are only eligible to use the Visa Waiver Program while you are outside of the USA. To apply you must also hold one of the listed eligible passports.
VISA WAIVER PROGRAM CONDITIONS
- Valid for 24 months from date of approval (or to the expiry date of your passport – if the passport expires within the next 24 months);
- Multiple entry visa with each visit being a maximum of 90 days;
- 90 day visit limit does not start until your arrive in the USA;
- Entitled to undertake tourism and certain business activities such as exploring job opportunities, consult with business associates, travel for a scientific, educational, professional or business convention or conference; and
- Not permitted to engage in any work, study or training.
Please note that you will not be permitted to enter the USA using the Visa Waiver Program if you are not in good health and have criminal convictions.